Taking good care of your dental health requires daily effort and commitment. It includes regular brushing, flossing, and the use of fluoride mouthwash. However, for some people, these are not enough to protect teeth from tooth decay or cavities. At Lowery Smiles, we offer dental sealants to prevent cavities and protect teeth. They are a reliable preventive way to ensure that your teeth are protected from decay and cavities over the long run.
Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings brushed onto the chewing (occlusal) surface of the molars or permanent back teeth to prevent tooth decay.
Why Are They Used?
Food can get trapped inside the deep ridges or grooves on the chewing surfaces of the molar and premolar teeth. These fissures are deep and difficult to clean while brushing your teeth, making them vulnerable to decay. So, we seal these ridges using dental sealants to prevent food from getting trapped, thus reducing the risk of cavities.
Who Would Need Dental Sealants?
Since sealants provide such vital prevention against cavities and tooth decay, they are strongly recommended for children and teenagers once they get their molars. However, adults can also get dental sealants if they have a high risk for decay on their deep fissures.
The placement of dental sealants is a quick, painless procedure that involves minimal steps. The application is as follows:
- The dentist thoroughly cleans and dries each tooth to be sealed and surrounds it with an absorbent material to keep them dry.
- An acid solution is applied on the occlusal surfaces of the teeth to enable the bonding of the sealant to the teeth.
- Once again, the dentist rinses and dries the teeth.
- The dentist applies the liquid sealant onto the teeth and uses a curing light to enable the bonding and hardening of the sealant to the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- Protect against the accumulation of plaque and foods
- The application of dental sealants is a pain-free procedure
- Sealants are an added support to maintain oral health
- Sealants are effective for up to 10 years
- Sealants are easy to maintain and repair
How Long Do Sealants Last?
Dental sealants can usually last up to 10 years and protect teeth from decay and cavities. However, it is important to get them checked by your dentist to detect chipping or wearing, if any, at regular intervals. Your dentist will replace the dental sealants if necessary.
Lowery Smiles, located in Cary, NC, has expert dentists and the latest amenities for treatment. Call Dentist in Cary, NC at (919) 468-5501 and schedule an appointment.